Inter District Application Guideline


Downey Unified is now accepting applications for children who live outside the Downey Unified boundaries (out-of-district permit = inter-district permit). Students must have a 2.5 GPA (C+ average) or better, with good attendance and good behavior.

To Apply Online Today!

Read important information below, and then verify that you have read by clicking the button at the bottom of the page. You will then be able to fill-out the online application.

1. First, choose the top three schools that interest you. Your child's name will be submitted to the schools chosen. All requests will be handled individually.

2. If your child is currently enrolled in another district, make sure to apply for a release permit. Unfortunately, we are unable to finish the enrollment process until this form is obtained.

3. Additional student documentation needed for a successful inter-district permit:
  • Most recent grades (report card or transcripts)
  • Attendance record for the current school year
  • Most recent standardized test results
  • If applicable, most recent IEP must be provided to the office of Special Education.

4. Be sure to enroll your child in his or her home school district because not all transfer requests are approved. You will be notified by Downey Unified or the requested school with the status of your application.

If you have any questions prior to applying for an inter-district permit please call: (562) 469-6518 or email:

Note: School bus transportation is not available to out-of-district students.
Athletic eligibility is the responsibility of the student and the school and may be restricted by residence requirements.